The Rox Blog

torsdag, april 07, 2005

Science Museum Field Trip!

Yesterday we took a group of Skyline kids to the Science Museum of Minnesota. Mikaela organized it, and I helped her out by making the flyers for volunteers to be chaperones, and the two of us went to the museum last week to make a guide for all the chaperones- to make sure they don't miss anything!

I had four kids in my group- Huy, Fatuma, Hassan and Aisha. My group was AWESOME. Before we left, Huy was telling me that his favorite animal is the pig because he was born in the year of the pig. I told him I was born in the year of the rooster, and he said, "Oh so you are like, 24". I was dumbfounded, and said, "tomorrow, Huy!" He said, "Oh! Congratulations!" I just couldn't believe that he figured that out so fast. Most of the time I don't even know how old I am.

We had such a great time- my kids were fascinated by the mummy, and all the dead animals. They kept asking me if each one was real. They also really got into the computer exhibits- we did an experiment and isolated DNA in the cell lab by following a procedure on a computer, there were computer activities all over the experiment gallery and monitors for various bodily functions in the human body exhibit.
Huy was looking at a machine that read electrical signals in your arm and displayed them on a monitor, and we had a good time playing with the harmonics monitors above the keyboard.
Hassan showed me that he could drive the Mars Rover and was really into this anti-smoking rap music video.
Fatuma was a master of studying motion (calculus!) with a little car that was tracked on a computer, and also was relentless in persuading me to get the computer to read my blood pressure (it's a little lower than average, which is normal for me).
Aisha was always off sitting at some computer just figuring everything out. They also thought it was neat that there was a Perigrine Falcon that lived on the smokestack near the museum- you can see the nest out the window and the birds flying over the river. Then there's a camera in the nest so we can see the eggs!

The kids were so full of questions and were so engaged that we ran out of time but we had such a blast- I wish we could go every week!